Site Reliability Engineer
Location: Leeds or Hybrid
Want to deliver tech with purpose, with people who care?
Join us and develop cutting-edge software solutions that help keep children safe online.
What’s the opportunity?
We are introducing the Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) discipline to our UK operations, so this is the opportunity to join this brand new team and help define what SRE means at Smoothwall (a FamilyZone Company). As an SRE you will ensure the performance, reliability and security of the services that our customers use. You will be responsible for designing and delivering highly scalable cloud based performance software solutions, to be used and loved by millions of students and parents around the globe; collaborating with colleagues while demonstrating technical delivery skills, architecture, DevOps and some infrastructure management.
Here’s how you’ll do it?
- Build and maintain monitoring systems that enable observability
- Guide system architecture by operating at the intersection of software development and systems engineering
- Reduce TOIL and increase automation
- Contributes to an innovative culture within the organization through continuous learning and improvement
- Enable and empower software engineers to be self-sufficient in their management of infrastructure
- Exhibit a very high standard of technical judgment, innovation, and execution to tackle open-ended problems that require difficult prioritization, defining both the what and how of things to be done
Who are we?
As the K-12 market leader, Smoothwall provides cutting edge, on premise and cloud-based technology for UK schools, colleges and MATs to keep their students safe online. We exist to protect and support every child’s digital journey by leveraging industry-leading technology to protect 18,000 schools and close to 10 million students worldwide. With our UK head office in Leeds, our parent company, Family Zone Cyber Safety is headquartered in Australia, with operations throughout the US and New Zealand, we’ve grown fast and employ over 350 people. We’re all proud of our incredible journey so far …and the best is yet to come. That’s where you come in!
What you will bring
- Experience in multi-cloud (we use Azure and GCP)
- Experience with Kubernetes (ideally Google Kubernetes Engine)
- CI/CD pipeline implementation experience with tools such as Azure DevOps and CloudBuild
- Experience with scripting
- Experience with IaC tools such as ARM templates and Terraform
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools such as Azure AppInsights and Datadog
- Ideally experience in GitOps
- Experience or understanding of firewalls, load balancers, networking administration and infrastructure management
- A strong and demonstrable passion for constantly learning and continuously improving in familiarity with industry leading DevOps/SRE tools, best practices, and technologies.
- Experience working in big data environments
- Experience of working in Agile development teams
Why choose Smoothwall?
In this role, you can expect:
- Remote working with some on-site customer visits and occasional visits to Leeds office (following sensible pandemic precautions of course)
- The opportunity to work with an amazing Sales team on a life changing product
- Competitive salary, including company shares
- Private health insurance
- Yearly training budget
More importantly, you’ll:
- Deliver tech with purpose…
As a Software Engineer here, your work truly matters. Your skills, knowledge and ideas will all help children stay safe online. It feels good to do good.
- With people who care…
Our Software Engineers are amazing! They’re also amazingly supportive. We all take ownership of our work, end to end. And at the same time, we really care about growing and winning together.
- Through work that you love…
You’ll get to work on technology and data scaling challenges for a global customer base. And you’ll be exposed to modern technologies and processes, in a fast-paced and supportive learning environment.
- And a career that you own…
This role offers so many opportunities to expand your skills and grow your career. You’ll get to attend local software conferences, paid for by us. And as you step up and take ownership to make things happen, you’ll carve out an incredible career.
Sound like you?
We’d love to hear from you. Please submit your application if you would like to be considered for this opportunity. At this stage we are only accepting applications from those with full working rights.
Tell us about yourself. Send you CV and covering letter to:
Shortlisting will commence immediately.